What is GDPR?
General Data Protection Regulation – better known as GDPR – became enforceable on May 25th, 2018, and applies specifically to the request and handling of web user’s personal identifiable information (PII).
In simpler terms, GDPR protects EU based web users by regulating how transparent a website must be when collecting PII and dictates how the information is allowed to be used and how quickly it must be proffered and deleted upon request.
- Requiring a user’s consent before collecting data
- Hashing of private data to ensure security during site transmissions
- Providing data breach notifications in a timely manner
- Providing details concerning how user data was handled internally and externally
- The requirement of a data protection officer be appointed and given the responsibility of ensuring the above tasks are implemented and intact
Vertical Measures has taken steps to adhere to these guidelines including:
- HTTPS site migration – so that all site to CRM transmissions are secure so that data remains private
- Introduction of cookie pop-up notification that informs, and provides a chance to refuse, site behavior tracking
- More robust form-fill permission opt-ins that provide each user an idea of what we are collecting and for what purpose
- New internal data policies that improve data handling process and limit the number of interactions with user data to only those individuals who require it.
How Does This Impact You?
While these terms and regulations currently only apply to EU citizens we believe it is best to be proactive in gaining full compliance with these terms. Both in the best interest of our EU site visitors, as well as a preemptive preparation for what we feel is an inevitable US response to these regulations that may likely mirror the efforts already put into effect by the GDPR.
Please feel free to send us any questions or feedback about our efforts.