Facebook Timeline has been made official for all brand pages for over two weeks now. If you didn’t attend my recent webinar introducing the new timeline for Facebook, you may still be struggling with how to navigate and use the new layout. At first glance, it can appear quite disorganized, especially to those of you who have grown accustomed to the traditional wall layout. This post provides tips on everything from cover photos to the new and improved dashboard, and will quickly bring you back up to speed.
- Create a cover photo with the dimensions 851 x 315 for a perfectly fitting photo.
- Make sure the cover photo is under 100KB to avoid it being rejected due to file size limitations.
- Contact information is not allowed in the cover photo. This even includes website URLs.
- Your cover photo must not include any calls-to-action. This includes asking fans to like your page.
- Get creative! The cover photo is the first thing fans will see when they visit your page.
- Allow fans to submit their own artwork for cover photos. By doing this you’ll create brand ambassadors, engage more users, and generate new content.
- Pin posts to keep a piece of content at the top of your timeline. You may pin one post at a time for up to 7 days.
- Highlight posts to give specific content pieces more real estate on your timeline.
- Customize and arrange apps under your cover photo. Calls-to-action are allowed here, so get creative and use the space wisely.
- Choose and share photos that fans post on your page to increase their exposure. With the new timeline, this is one of the only ways to make sure fans content doesn’t go unnoticed.
- Create interest lists in your niche, and include your brand in them to increase exposure.
- Fill in Milestones to update fans on your accomplishments. Milestones are key moments you’ve decided to highlight on your page, and can be as large as a grand opening or as small as .
- Don’t neglect insights. Use insights to analyze data for optimal times to post, and which type types of content received the highest engagement.
- Take advantage of the improved dashboard to keep yourself organized, especially the detailed activity log which shows details of all notifications.
- Be sure to check your inbox, as you can now receive message from fans. This will allow fans to contact brands privately, which is great in cases where contact information needs to be exchanged.
Still have questions about the new layout on topics that I didn’t cover above? Now is your chance to ask, just leave us a comment below!