Distributing Your Content to Increase Your Reach
You did it! You created that awesome infographic, video, article, or other piece of content. You’ve posted it on your website, promoted it, and gotten some great response.
But after the initial hype has died down, so has the traffic. Now you are probably wondering how you can take that awesomeness to the next level and give it some more exposure which will hopefully build a consistent flow of traffic back to your main site.
This is where content distribution comes into play. Instead of letting that piece of content sit in one place, you are going to take it, repurpose it, and distribute it in a variety of ways.
What is Content Repurposing?
First of all, what is content repurposing? Simply put, it is taking one piece of content and transforming it into one or more different types or pieces of content. Examples would include, but are not limited to the following.
- Taking an eBook’s various chapters and making them into shorter blog posts or articles.
- Taking a collection of blog posts or articles and making them into an eBook.
- Taking a blog post and reading it as a podcast.
- Taking a slideshow presentation and converting it to video.
- Taking a video and transcribing it into text for an article, blog post, or whitepaper.
- Taking an informative blog post or article and transform the data into an infographic.
- Taking a collection of infographics and compile them into a top ten list for your industry.
- Taking a webinar and converting it into video, slideshows, and a transcription for an article or blog.
There are many more ways to repurpose your content. Essentially, you want to cater your content to everyone if possible – those who like to read (blog posts, articles, whitepapers, eBooks), those who like visually appealing media (infographics, slideshows), those who like to listen (podcasts), and those who like to watch (video).
Now, take that repurposed content and give it as much exposure as possible in the following ways!
Distributing Text-Based Content
Sharing text based information can be done in a variety of ways. You can place content that is standard article length on the following sites.
- Blog posts on your own website.
- Guest posts on well-known blogs in your industry.
- Article networks that haven’t succumbed to the Google Panda update.
- Facebook notes.
- Niche social networks that allow you to create blogs.
Whitepapers, reports, and eBooks can also be shared on a variety of networks, including within industry forums or social networks. You have the free information as a part of a mailing list signup, or simply give it away with lots of internal links and branding towards your brand for those who do find and download it.
Distributing Infographics & Images
One of the best ways to share infographics is by letting it be known that they are free to use on any website with proper accreditation, like we did with the now famous Linktoberfest SEO infographic for link data visualization.
<a title="Linktoberfest!" href="http://www.verticalmeasures.com/linktoberfest/" target="_blank"> <img src="http://www.verticalmeasures.com/linktoberfest/images/linktoberfest.jpg" order="0" alt="Linktoberfest! SEO Infographic for Link Data Visualization" /></a>
As you can see from the coding, this can be a great way to build links to your website as well.
You know those videos you have – how to videos, old webinars, and slideshows converted to videos? There are a ton of great video sharing sites you can upload them to including YouTube, Vimeo, Ustream, Dailymotion, Viddler, Revver, and tons of other video platforms that receive anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of views. And don’t forget posting them directly to Facebook for your fan page too!
Your Content Distribution Strategy
Now it’s your turn. When it comes to content repurposing and distribution, what have you tried that has worked out well in terms of gaining backlinks, traffic, and conversions? Share with us in the discussion below!
- The Weekly Measure: Safe Link Acquisition, Checklist for Publishing Content & Hashtag Guide
Feb 27, 2015
- A Survivor’s Guide to Attending a Marketing Conference
Feb 24, 2015
- The Weekly Measure: Buyer Personas, Twitter and Google Partnership & Shareworthy Content Creation
Feb 20, 2015
- Twitter Partners with Google: What You Need to Know
Feb 19, 2015