3 Common Content Marketing Mistakes (and How to Fix Them) [VIDEO]
Is your content turning off your viewers? How is content helping your business? Are you following your process through to the end? Whether it’s blog posts, videos, infographics, or online guides, David Gould of Vertical Measures discusses 3 common content marketing mistakes, and what you can do to fix them.
Hi, I’m David Gould with Vertical Measures, and here are 3 common content marketing mistakes (and how to fix them).
Number One: The “Me” Problem
No one likes a narcissist. Content that is overbranded, salesy, and focused on “me me me” can be a turnoff to the people you’re trying to reach.
Effective content should follow the three E’s: educate, entertain and engage. Focusing only on yourself is the fourth “E”: extremely boring.
Instead of trying to sell and convert directly with your content, focus instead on providing value to your audience. What question of theirs are you answering? What problem of theirs are you solving? A person is far more likely to enjoy, remember and share content that benefits them – and far more likely to trust and engage further with a business who gave them something of value instead of a heavy-handed sales pitch.
Number Two: No Goals, No Strategy
Content marketing is about using content to connect user needs with your business goals. We’ve talked about creating content of value for your audience, but you still need to tie that back to benefits for your business.
So start by identifying what you’re looking to achieve with your content – website traffic, search engine ranking, shares on social media, establishing authority in your industry… whatever it is, have a clear stated objective. Then develop a strategy to make sure your content aligns with that objective. Some questions to ask:
- Who is my audience for this content? Existing customers? College students? Small business owners in Delaware?
- How are they going to find my content?
- What content format would be most effective – a blog post, video, infographic, eBook?
- What metrics can I track to judge how successful my content is?
Creating content without a strategy is like finishing building a house, (15a) and then asking how many rooms it should have.
Number Three: Set It and Forget It
Too often people will create a great piece of content, publish it, and think the process stops there. Don’t fail to follow through with these steps:
- Promote your content. “If you build it, they will come” does not apply to content. So whether it’s social media, bookmarking sites, email marketing, or something else – work to get eyes on your content.
- Engage on social media. Be sure to connect with users who like and share your content – who may be potential customers.
- Measure. Did your content meet the goals you established? Analyze those metrics to see what works and identify areas for improvement.
- Keep planning. Maintain an editorial calendar to plan out your future content. You can build on your successes, learn from your failures, and keep your content marketing process moving smartly.
With a little work it’s easy to avoid these common content marketing mistakes and see vast improvements from your content.
About David Gould
David is the Director of Strategy at Vertical Measures, working with brands to develop successful online marketing programs that pull together business goals with customer needs. His 15 years experience in writing, design and web development have provided a perfect complement of skills for effective content marketing and strategy.+David Gould
- Article Marketing
- Boost Your Juice
- Business Blogging
- Content Development
- Content Marketing
- Content Strategy
- Contextual Links
- Conversion Optimization
- Do Follow Tuesdays
- Employee Profiles
- Expert Interviews
- Guest Blogging
- Internet Marketing
- Keyword Research
- Link Bait
- Link Building
- Link Building Tools
- Local Search
- Measurement & Reporting
- Ode to SEO
- On-Site SEO
- PPC Advertising
- Reciprocal Linking
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Media
- Success Story
- The Basics
- Video Marketing
- VM News
- Website Publicity